Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Next Step: Accupuncture

First things first. Thank you, Tom, for your email. It is important for all of us that suffer from this to stay in touch so that we can share ideas and maintain some kind of support system. Tom suggested cutting back on showers, as this will help the skin to retain more of its natural moisture and will help to alleviate the hives. I think I'll give it a try, and I'm not worried about body odor because, as I've said, I no longer sweat!

I visited my allergist again yesterday to see if there was anything else we could try. He glanced at the catalog of drugs that I am taking and was amazed that I was still having problems. He said that cholinergic urticaria usually responds very well to prescription anti-histamines. I think at this point he is just as baffled as I am about all this. He went ahead and approved the prednisone to help get me through the outdoor Texas wedding in June, and then suggested that next I might try accupuncture, which in some cases has apparently been pretty effective in helping people with body temperature regulation and other similar issues. He recommended an outfit in this area that is supposed to be top-notch with legitimate MD's. So as soon as I get back from the honeymoon I will be giving them a call. I doubt insurance will cover it but at this point I will do what I have to to alleviate the hives.

Keep cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home